1. The number of dialyzation centers has not changed during the past two years. Their steep increase occurred in
1990 - 1995. This development made this treatment available without former limitations (on account of diagnosis
2. In the dialyzed population during the last five years the number of patients in more advanced age groups is
increasing. More than half the patients are older than 60 years. During this period there was a marked increase of
diabetic subjects and in 1997 they accounted already for one third of the dialyzed population.
3. In the number of patients treated by haemodialysis we still lag behind the countries of the EU. An adverse
indicator of the quality of treatment is the high mortality rate.
4. It is essential to ensure early dispensarization of patients with a creatinine level above 300 mmoll/l in the
predialyzation ambulatory department.
5. Only a very small percentage of patients is treated by peritoneal dialysis as this is not a traditional method in
dialysis therapy, dialyzation centre, chronic renal failure, erythropoietin, anaemia.